How often should you see your gf?

theblackpanther

Space Monkey
space monkey
I'm one month into my relationship with my gf in college and things are currently going great. My question is, how often should I spend time with her? I know Girlschase says to hang with your girlfriend 2-3 times a week but I'm just wondering since me and her live in the same building, and it wouldn't take much investment on my side to simply go up 1 flight of stairs to see her, should I be hanging out/with her more often than the regular 2-3 times a week? I feel as if the dynamics are different.

I was leaning towards the idea of, yes I can say hi to her and possibly speak for 5-10 minutes every day or so, but as for actually hanging out or going out together that itself should be limited to the usual 2/3 times a week.

Please give your ideas/advice

Thank you.

Surveyor

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Depends on your situation I guess.
Especially where both of you want to take the relationship, as well as both of your attachment styles and time commitments.

As an example, my parents have a very strong bond from 20+ years of marriage, but often my mom wants to be completely alone to work or relax. That's just how she is.

theblackpanther

Space Monkey
space monkey
Depends on your situation I guess.
Especially where both of you want to take the relationship, as well as both of your attachment styles and time commitments.

As an example, my parents have a very strong bond from 20+ years of marriage, but often my mom wants to be completely alone to work or relax. That's just how she is.
So perhaps 2-3 times should be the baseline and anything more would be just depending on how she acts? I also don’t want to make myself to a available. Give her the chance to miss me of course.

Surveyor

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Yeah it takes time to get closer emotionally. Right now so long as the relationship is growing and progressing you're fine.

Derek da man

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Whether you see her once a week or 2-3 times is less important that to "leave her wanting more" so that will keep her chasing and keep her interested. If she thinks she's "got you" then the attraction starts to diminish.

There's nothing wrong with popping up for a 5 minute chat or a quickie or whatever but unless you've planned to go and do something specific you should often have other things you need/want to go and do.

Just hanging out is cool sometimes but having nothing better to do most of the time is fairly "unattractive" as it tends to send a message that you're not very motivated or interesting which you need to avoid.

Will_V

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Just don't have her move in with you unless you've got kids or are about to, that's my no. 1 piece of advice (learning from my mistakes).

There's no rule about it, but it's important to not go and see her because you think it'd be weird not to. If you don't want to see her right now, or today, or for the next few days, for whatever reason, just don't see her. A lot of issues guys have in relationships can be fixed by simply being honest with themselves.

In relationships, women are always trying to push forward. She wants to see greater and greater commitment, but this is not always (or often) because she really wants it, but because she's programmed as a female to push in that direction, it's her way of measuring her security. The funny thing is that when she gets too secure, she loses interest, or gets uncomfortable, or gets naggy and annoying, or starts looking wistfully out the window - because she expects a counterbalancing pressure. But when she feels like things are not completely under wraps, or getting out of her control, she gets excited and competitive with her perceived competition, and starts investing and doing things you want, and is very compliant and agreeable and all the things men generally like. Therefore everything in a relationship should be about maintaining the right balance of her security and investment.

Personally I always measure relationship healthiness by her level of baseline enthusiasm. It's not easy to measure though, because it is a long term variable with plenty of momentum. If you pull too far back, she'll get enthusiastic and start investing but then it devolves into anxiety and neediness if she doesn't get what she needs, basically she falls apart. If you push too far forward, she's happy and comfortable at first but then degenerates into bad behavior of all sorts. You just have to develop an intuition, and use frame control and your attention level as a way to apply corrective pressure when things start going off track (which can happen in either direction). To do this you must be very aware of the nuances of female behaviour, and alert and attentive to any changes and the possible reasons for them.

theblackpanther

Space Monkey
space monkey
Just don't have her move in with you unless you've got kids or are about to, that's my no. 1 piece of advice (learning from my mistakes).

There's no rule about it, but it's important to not go and see her because you think it'd be weird not to. If you don't want to see her right now, or today, or for the next few days, for whatever reason, just don't see her. A lot of issues guys have in relationships can be fixed by simply being honest with themselves.

In relationships, women are always trying to push forward. She wants to see greater and greater commitment, but this is not always (or often) because she really wants it, but because she's programmed as a female to push in that direction, it's her way of measuring her security. The funny thing is that when she gets too secure, she loses interest, or gets uncomfortable, or gets naggy and annoying, or starts looking wistfully out the window - because she expects a counterbalancing pressure. But when she feels like things are not completely under wraps, or getting out of her control, she gets excited and competitive with her perceived competition, and starts investing and doing things you want, and is very compliant and agreeable and all the things men generally like. Therefore everything in a relationship should be about maintaining the right balance of her security and investment.

Personally I always measure relationship healthiness by her level of baseline enthusiasm. It's not easy to measure though, because it is a long term variable with plenty of momentum. If you pull too far back, she'll get enthusiastic and start investing but then it devolves into anxiety and neediness if she doesn't get what she needs, basically she falls apart. If you push too far forward, she's happy and comfortable at first but then degenerates into bad behavior of all sorts. You just have to develop an intuition, and use frame control and your attention level as a way to apply corrective pressure when things start going off track (which can happen in either direction). To do this you must be very aware of the nuances of female behaviour, and alert and attentive to any changes and the possible reasons for them.

I love this advice here. Quick 5-minute talks should simply be enough sometimes.

So if I'm understanding correctly here: don't let her feel like she ever completely has you so that means to pull back on some occasions and create some distance, and when she starts to show that enthusiasm you're mentioning reward her with love so that it doesn't turn into neediness?

My question is, at the time we do see each other often and hang out occasionally. When I do start to pull back and create distance should I provide some explanation as to why in advance so it doesn't seem like I'm avoiding her like perhaps say "oh I'm really busy today so I'll see you later baby"(either in text or in person). Or should it just happen naturally? Because while I'm willing to create some separation between us, I feel like the sudden shift in attitude/dynamic will cause her to panic.

Thank you once again.

Will_V

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
I love this advice here. Quick 5-minute talks should simply be enough sometimes.

So if I'm understanding correctly here: don't let her feel like she ever completely has you so that means to pull back on some occasions and create some distance, and when she starts to show that enthusiasm you're mentioning reward her with love so that it doesn't turn into neediness?

My question is, at the time we do see each other often and hang out occasionally. When I do start to pull back and create distance should I provide some explanation as to why in advance so it doesn't seem like I'm avoiding her like perhaps say "oh I'm really busy today so I'll see you later baby"(either in text or in person). Or should it just happen naturally? Because while I'm willing to create some separation between us, I feel like the sudden shift in attitude/dynamic will cause her to panic.

Thank you once again.

I don't think it's healthy to look at it as a constant battle between you. It doesn't help to be constantly pulling and pushing in a relationship, unless you like drama. If she doesn't give you any reason to pull back, don't pull back. If she does something good, give her some positive feedback and reward. But that doesn't mean you should feel compelled to move things forward either.

In an ideal world, a girl is always content and patient with the relationship, and it progresses forward at a natural rate. Relationships must progress at some rate or otherwise they stagnate, and the guy becomes bored and/or the woman gets frustrated, there are some good articles talking about this on Girls Chase. But as they say it is the woman's imperative to be applying pressure for things to move forward, and your imperative as a man to want to be free. That means that naturally she should be pushing harder than the relationship is moving forward, this is normal and good, because she will be making herself attractive, being compliant, etc in order to grease the wheels, trying to get it to go faster.

So essentially, all you have to do is entertain your natural inclination to avoid commitment, while strategically providing small amounts of it in response to her insistence, in order to improve the relationship and keep it on track. There's not a whole lot more to it than that.

The real mistake I believe that men make is when they start offering commitment as a way to appease a woman when she's behaving badly, or to ensure stability when they feel 'low value', or to secure a 'long term deposit' so he can sit back and get fat and lazy. This is not how women work. And there will always be a time during the early phases of a relationship where a guy has a weak ego due to some event or other and feels compelled to go and feed the horse in his stable to feel better about himself - but this ruins the horse.

There's another thing that's relevant that I've come to strongly believe, which has been held up by my observations and experiences: in regards to being put in her place, a woman has more respect and excitement for a guy who is slow to react, but reacts very strongly and perhaps ruthlessly, than a guy who is always trying to react the right amount at the right time in an attempt to outmaneuver her.

Women fundamentally respect a man's ruthlessness and power, not his ability to out-game her (in the sense of tit for tat). Manipulation is a woman's game, she looks at him as a bit of a dumb but powerful beast and he looks at her as being wily but weak. This is normal and good, and gives everyone a chance to feel good about themselves and respect the other for what is not their strong suit.

In that sense, I think it is natural for a man to not want to play games, but to believe that he can simply dominate any situation, and to expect everyone else to know that. If that were the case, what benefit would he get from playing games? This is the ideal frame that a woman should have of you. It's better for a woman to think she could get away with something for a while, but then the shit would really hit the fan, than it is for her to be constantly getting the vague sense that a you are trying to maneuver her away from it.

The problem is that in this day and age guys don't assert themselves like that with women any more. They are afraid to do things like kicking a woman out of the house, cancelling big plans, ignoring her messages for a week, etc when she's not behaving herself. Even though this is exactly what he feels inclined to do and would find deeply satisfying - and incidentally is what would make her respect him at her core.

So while it's good to use intelligence and perception and frame control to manage a relationship, it's also good to paint yourself in her mind not as a game-playing guy but instead as the guy who is too busy to play games, but when he has to come and sort things out, nobody's going to have a great day.

It's always a balance - as my father likes to say, 'everything in moderation'. If a relationship is healthy, and you're steering it well, and her role is clear and fulfilling, there should be a minimum of any kind of drama or need for correction. But the most effective lessons are the ones that don't come very often, and are remembered well, not the ones that someone is always trying to teach and never quite getting the point across.

theblackpanther

Space Monkey
space monkey
I don't think it's healthy to look at it as a constant battle between you. It doesn't help to be constantly pulling and pushing in a relationship, unless you like drama. If she doesn't give you any reason to pull back, don't pull back. If she does something good, give her some positive feedback and reward. But that doesn't mean you should feel compelled to move things forward either.

In an ideal world, a girl is always content and patient with the relationship, and it progresses forward at a natural rate. Relationships must progress at some rate or otherwise they stagnate, and the guy becomes bored and/or the woman gets frustrated, there are some good articles talking about this on Girls Chase. But as they say it is the woman's imperative to be applying pressure for things to move forward, and your imperative as a man to want to be free. That means that naturally she should be pushing harder than the relationship is moving forward, this is normal and good, because she will be making herself attractive, being compliant, etc in order to grease the wheels, trying to get it to go faster.

So essentially, all you have to do is entertain your natural inclination to avoid commitment, while strategically providing small amounts of it in response to her insistence, in order to improve the relationship and keep it on track. There's not a whole lot more to it than that.

The real mistake I believe that men make is when they start offering commitment as a way to appease a woman when she's behaving badly, or to ensure stability when they feel 'low value', or to secure a 'long term deposit' so he can sit back and get fat and lazy. This is not how women work. And there will always be a time during the early phases of a relationship where a guy has a weak ego due to some event or other and feels compelled to go and feed the horse in his stable to feel better about himself - but this ruins the horse.

There's another thing that's relevant that I've come to strongly believe, which has been held up by my observations and experiences: in regards to being put in her place, a woman has more respect and excitement for a guy who is slow to react, but reacts very strongly and perhaps ruthlessly, than a guy who is always trying to react the right amount at the right time in an attempt to outmaneuver her.

Women fundamentally respect a man's ruthlessness and power, not his ability to out-game her (in the sense of tit for tat). Manipulation is a woman's game, she looks at him as a bit of a dumb but powerful beast and he looks at her as being wily but weak. This is normal and good, and gives everyone a chance to feel good about themselves and respect the other for what is not their strong suit.

In that sense, I think it is natural for a man to not want to play games, but to believe that he can simply dominate any situation, and to expect everyone else to know that. If that were the case, what benefit would he get from playing games? This is the ideal frame that a woman should have of you. It's better for a woman to think she could get away with something for a while, but then the shit would really hit the fan, than it is for her to be constantly getting the vague sense that a you are trying to maneuver her away from it.

The problem is that in this day and age guys don't assert themselves like that with women any more. They are afraid to do things like kicking a woman out of the house, cancelling big plans, ignoring her messages for a week, etc when she's not behaving herself. Even though this is exactly what he feels inclined to do and would find deeply satisfying - and incidentally is what would make her respect him at her core.

So while it's good to use intelligence and perception and frame control to manage a relationship, it's also good to paint yourself in her mind not as a game-playing guy but instead as the guy who is too busy to play games, but when he has to come and sort things out, nobody's going to have a great day.

It's always a balance - as my father likes to say, 'everything in moderation'. If a relationship is healthy, and you're steering it well, and her role is clear and fulfilling, there should be a minimum of any kind of drama or need for correction. But the most effective lessons are the ones that don't come very often, and are remembered well, not the ones that someone is always trying to teach and never quite getting the point across.
God damn..this changed everything for me. I lack the vocabulary to give a satisfactory response to such great advice, so all I will say is thank you once again. You speak true words of wisdom. I shall take what you said into great consideration.

topcat

Modern Human
Modern Human

brilliant

>