rr2021 VS Teevster (and others:) "Scientism", Basic Epistemology & Academic Credentials

rr2021 aka DEVENCI

Space Monkey
space monkey
ADMIN NOTE: This is a new thread, constituted of a debate stemming from the thread on AI. It got slightly derailed, thus the need for this new thread in order to preserve the initial debate.

the most hilarious part of this thread is that the scientific consensus is that AI will change everything forever

trillion dollar corporations, centi billionaires, nobel prize winners...all in agreement on this

the only debate is will the change be positive,negative or somewhere in the middle

but in this thread we have people who obviously have no education on the subject arguing that it's all hype.

i would bet my life savings several of the people who have posted in this thread never even passed a high school level science class

the lack of understanding of rudimentary scientific concepts like exponential growth is stunning

but hey at least this has been comedy gold for the ages.

please keep the posts coming.

i hope this thread never dies.

Last edited by a moderator:

StrayDog

Modern Human
Modern Human
the most hilarious part of this thread is that the scientific consensus is that AI will change everything forever

trillion dollar corporations, centi billionaires, nobel prize winners...all in agreement on this

the only debate is will the change be positive,negative or somewhere in the middle

but in this thread we have people who obviously have no education on the subject arguing that it's all hype.

i would bet my life savings several of the people who have posted in this thread never even passed a high school level science class

the lack of understanding of rudimentary scientific concepts like exponential growth is stunning

but hey at least this has been comedy gold for the ages.

please keep the posts coming.

i hope this thread never dies.
never said ai won't change the world forever. never said it was ALL hype.

here is a theory: you are only here to stroke a feeling of superiority, which is mostly likely a compensation for something else that is lacking in your life. Social skills maybe? Might not be the most scientific theory but I am happy to put it out there. Regardless if I am right or not. Enjoy your ivory tower dude. Hope it doesn't get too lonely up there

rr2021 aka DEVENCI

Space Monkey
space monkey
never said ai won't change the world forever. never said it was ALL hype.

here is a theory: you are only here to stroke a feeling of superiority, which is mostly likely a compensation for something else that is lacking in your life. Social skills maybe? Might not be the most scientific theory but I am happy to put it out there. Regardless if I am right or not. Enjoy your ivory tower dude. Hope it doesn't get too lonely up there
so i guess you did not graduate high school.

thanks for the confirmation.

good luck.

rr2021 aka DEVENCI

Space Monkey
space monkey
which part of human life will be affected remains to be seen.
lol.

no definitely not.

again, that is like someone in 1995 saying "it remains to be seen which part of human life will be impacted by the internet"

it's hilariously and cringe inducingly wrong.

just a laughable statement to be honest.

rr2021 aka DEVENCI

Space Monkey
space monkey
In general, I never liked using the term consensus when talking about science.

giphy.gif

hahaha what?

is this a joke?

do not like the term consensus when talking about science.

so there is no consensus on the laws of physics?

what about gravity?

hahahahahha

omg this thread just gets funnier and funnier.

all time great, legendary thread.

Teevster

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
lol.

no definitely not.

again, that is like someone in 1995 saying "it remains to be seen which part of human life will be impacted by the internet"

it's hilariously and cringe inducingly wrong.

just a laughable statement to be honest.

Will democratic processes be affected?
....The notion of moral responsibility (in regards to military robots, self-driving cars etc)
.... Privacy (ok this one we already know is being affected)
.... Education (using AI to write papers)
... Workplace and human labor
.... Redistribution
.... Economic system
.... Conceptions of moral rights and duties
.... Conceptions of legal rights and duties
.... Elections, democracy and forms of governance
.... Sexual behaviour

Just listing a few different fields where AI is having an impact or may have an impact. If there is an impact, the way it will impact as well as the degree remains to be seen.

There is no consensus.

-Teevster

Last edited:

Teevster

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
giphy.gif

hahaha what?

is this a joke?

do not like the term consensus when talking about science.

so there is no consensus on the laws of physics?

what about gravity?

hahahahahha

omg this thread just gets funnier and funnier.

all time great, legendary thread.

There is no consensus on the laws of physics (ref Nils Bohr vs Einstein debate, Heisenberg vs Einstein debate etc). That said, it is true that hard sciences, and especially experimental physics tend to be harder and have more lawlike features.

Epistemology 101.

Although I am not saying the theories surrounding gravity are wrong. However, the field of study surrounding gravity is still being studied and any "true" theories are true in light of their possibility of being falsified (e.g. Popper). This is an essential part of the definition of "science".

Thus terms like consensus are rather "unscientific" or even "anti-sciencitific". Funnily enough, I have only seen the term "consensus" related to science being used online usually by people who do not have a background in science (never heard a PhD or a post-doc use such terminology).

And yes, I have passed high school.

-Teevster

Last edited:

rr2021 aka DEVENCI

Space Monkey
space monkey
Will democratic processes be affected?

giphy.gif

hahahahhaha

are you unaware how cambridge analytica used ai and machine learning to impact the democratic process of the 2016 election.

what planet are you living on?

AI is already impacting the democratic process for years.

omg.

ai and machine learning are the ultimate propaganda machine.

rr2021 aka DEVENCI

Space Monkey
space monkey
f being falsified (e.g. Popper). This is an essential part of the definition of "science".
lol.

yes im aware that everything in science is basically an assumption

there is never any finality as new data can always come in

but there is a consensus that can change if new data comes in

and lol, why are you editing your comments after i already reply?

Teevster

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
giphy.gif

hahahahhaha

are you unaware how cambridge analytica used ai and machine learning to impact the democratic process of the 2016 election.

what planet are you living on?

AI is already impacting the democratic process for years.

omg.

ai and machine learning are the ultimate propaganda machine.

I am fully aware of it. My former supervisor even published papers on the subject. I even mentioned this in a previous comment made here.

You do know that, I presented those pointer above in the form of research questions to point out different areas where the field of AI is being studied. I thought you knew how science was being conducted and how science was being communicated?

-Teevster

Last edited:

rr2021 aka DEVENCI

Space Monkey
space monkey
I am fully aware of it. My former supervisor even published papers on the subject. I even mentioned this in a previous comment made here.

You do know that, I presented those pointer above in forms of research questions to point out different areas where the field of AI is being studied. I thought you knew how science was being conducted and how science was being communicated?

-Teevster
giphy.gif

Teevster

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
it remains to be seen if you failed high school level science and have no idea what exponential growth is.

I do know quite a lot about exponential growth.

The theory that the capacity of AI has grown exponentially is a fact. However, the "if" it will keep growing exponentially remains to be seen. It is a current debate and many top notch scholars have criticized the initial theory that the development of AI will keep growing exponentially.

I though you were up to date?

-Teevster

Last edited:

Teevster

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
hahahha.

seduction coach.

1 in 5 close rate in nightclubs.

and AI researcher.

wow you are a modern day Devinci.

amazing.

I am not a computer scientist no, but I do have 2x master's degree (one MSc and one MA) that allows me to study AI from the perspective of my respective fields. AI research is multi and interdisciplinary.

Currently a doctoral research fellow.

Seduction coach is my side-gig.

Any problems?

Teevster

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
giphy.gif

hahahahha

you think ai is a "theory"

please learn the definition of words before trying to use them in a sentence

My bad, I mistyped (formulated myself poorly). I meant that the theory that AI-development will keep growing exponentially is being challenged.

Edited my initial comment to correct.

-Teevster

Last edited:
>