Video Games

Chrance

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I finally beat Dark Souls 2.

The game was better and much longer than I expected. There were really only two bosses that got me into a deep flow state: The Fume Knight and Sir Alonne. The Fume Knight was the most challenging. This is a little disappointing since dark souls 1 had 5 bosses that put me into that state.

Most boss fights it’s like:
1. Fight boss with current strategy (block and dodge only obvious attacks + attack during big opening)
2. Die a couple times
3. Keep trying till boss dies, no need to change tactics or have good timing

Deep Flow State boss fights it’s like:
1. Fight boss with current strategy
2. Die a lot
3. Discover moves of the boss and openings to attack the boss
4. Continue to use current strategy; die more
5. Accept that my current and technique is what’s causing me to lose; continue dying
6. Learn new tech and strategy gradually through many deaths
7. At last, new tech and strategy is mastered well enough, resulting in the experience of the deep flow state, where you are insanely focused while being self aware of this focus and your new powers; it’s like the whole world ceases to exist; full absorption into the game
8. Die a couple more times, each death jutting you out of the flow state, like waking from a dream
9. Finally defeat the boss

The most intense experience of this was Manus in ds1, and in ds2 it was the fume Knight. For both these bosses it became obvious that I had to dodge everyone of their attacks and I had to attack at very tight openings. When combined with the aesthetic of the game and the music, a very short and unique experience was formed. It’s kinda sad how short that awesome experience is.

Now I’m playing FF7 on my PS2. Then I’ll play FFX-2 and then FF8 (never played)

Sub-Zero

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I played the demo, it';s going to be action. During my first playthrough I do not want to look at walkthroughs. The first playthrough should be blind otherwise you risk losing the charm of the game. I am hoping to recapture the same magical feeling I had when I was 14. They made Tifa really hot by the way :D
I agree not playing with walkthroughs, but I had to for the original one because I wanted all the characters and I kept missing items lmao. I wanted to get all the weapons. I’m glad they decided to make the game action-based because turn-based was so boring to me. I beat the original, now I’m ready for the remake. :cool:

DarkKnight

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I agree not playing with walkthroughs, but I had to for the original one because I wanted all the characters and I kept missing items lmao. I wanted to get all the weapons. I’m glad they decided to make the game action-based because turn-based was so boring to me. I beat the original, now I’m ready for the remake. :cool:

To be honest the turn based battles had it's charm especially with the very cool background music. I worry sometimes that people who play the remake will never understand or appreciate the beauty of the original.

Carousel

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Doomsday engine - allows you to play Doom, Doom II, Hexen and Heretic on newer computers, in high resolution. A bit of a hassle to get all the packages to work but I managed.

doomsday2.jpg
blvdcegd4n221.png

Protean

Space Monkey
space monkey
Oh man @Carousel old school shooters are the best. Doom, Hexen, Blood, Shadow Warrior. Easily some of the best the most fun I've had in gaming. When you add on the insane number of mods available for these games, the fun never stops.

I mean look at this Doom mod I played recently:

I know the new Doom game came out but guys, the source material is amazing. Highly recommend giving one of these old school shooters a try

Protean

DarkKnight

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man

This game is really killer.. I played it when I was a kid... In the main campaign you had two choices.. either Kenshi, the heir of a ruling evil dynasty, follows the path of the Dragon as his far ancesters and becomes good.. or he follows the traditions of the Serpent, like his father and the recent rulers before him..

What is really fun is that when you play as Kenji in the Serpent path he behaves like a true total rogue.. He acts super conceited and haughty and is very ruthless.. I have always loved that part of the playthrough.. Dragon is badass as well, but Serpent was very edgy

Lucky

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Cyberpunk 2077, don't sleep on it, got overhyped as fuck and is now getting bashed due to bugs but for me on PC playing just below requirements the game was fine has a cool story with Keanu as well worth checking out, if you somehow haven't seen the trailers avoid them, also the Mass effect trilogy is also pretty sick.

Will_V

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
I like to play story-based RPGs like Mass Effect series, Knights of the Old Republic, that sort of thing. I also like strategy games (Homeworld and Age of Empires) and stealth (the old Splinter Cell games). I'm very much into sci-fi, although I'm sick to death of dystopian films and games.

Elder Scrolls is a game I enjoyed a lot, and put a couple of days into, but typically I avoid anything grindy or competitively multiplayer, as I simply don't care for stats, loot or rewards. Games are for me a way to experience another reality for a while (like reading a good book) not something that directly gives me anything valuable. I only play a few games a year, and usually binge them in one sitting or over a couple of days. I use it as a sort of psychological 'reset', especially when I'm feeling a bit low, as immersive games are great for clearing out the clutter in my mind.

I'm actually a game developer (as well as a writer) and I find it much more fun to build and design games than to play them.

trashKENNUT

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I'm actually a game developer (as well as a writer) and I find it much more fun to build and design games than to play them
I edited Command and Conquer Generals.

My F-22 raptor can shoot unlimited missiles. :) But as the world collapses and my games going woke, this is a necessary.

Even the occasional playstation sucks because of scripting and wokeness. I have a business and research to do. I have no time for BS. I want to enjoy my break time.

z@c+

>