Fashion  What Colognes are you guys using this F/W 2021?

West_Indian_Archie

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Put away my fresh/aquatic/citrus colognes from Spring/Summer. No more D&G Light Blue Intense and Creed Green Irish Tweed for me.

Wearing Oud for Greatness at the work desk right now, but my current rotation for this type of weather

Now my fall/winter/cold weather fragrance selection is pretty big.

A-Men - Pure Havane
A-Men - Pure Malt
Creed - Viking
Paco Rabanne - One Million Prive
Parfums De Marly - Layton
Parfums De Marly - Herod
Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
Versace - Pour Homme Oud Noir
Viktor and Rolf - Spicebomb Extreme

I own most of these as bottles, but some I suggest getting a decant before you commit

WIA

Souverain

Space Monkey
space monkey
Was just thinking about this today... so cool topic haha!

I'm currently curating my collection; Tom Ford and Creed are in my (near? far?) future, but for now, I just ordered Armaf's Club de Nuit Intense EDP (the infamous Creed Aventus clone) today, and already own Versace Eros EDP, so will be wearing those this fall. Love the Eros EDP btw, although folks may think it's too common.

Also bought Victoria Secret's Very Sexy for Him on Chase's recommendation a while back, before it was discontinued. I quite like it, but it's no fall scent for sure. Very citrusy, fruity and fresh -- was a steadfast companion this summer!

How's Layton btw? Never smelled it, but heard good things. My roommate has La Nuit de l'Homme which he says is similar (and chicks seem to like this one on me)

West_Indian_Archie

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
I've got CDNIM, Aventus, and Hacivat (another niche clone of Aventus) - I don't really smell the pineapple to be honest.

Layton - I'm a big fan of. Starts out citrusy but ends up Vanilla/Cardamom. One of my faves. Sort of like an apple pie after a while

LNDLH is a banger for sure. Other good ones in that vain Armani's Stronger With You and D&G's The One

Souverain

Space Monkey
space monkey
I've got CDNIM, Aventus, and Hacivat (another niche clone of Aventus) - I don't really smell the pineapple to be honest.

Layton - I'm a big fan of. Starts out citrusy but ends up Vanilla/Cardamom. One of my faves. Sort of like an apple pie after a while

LNDLH is a banger for sure. Other good ones in that vain Armani's Stronger With You and D&G's The One
Damn, apple pie sounds delicious! What's interesting, btw, is I got my hands on Eros when I started cutting (around this January). I'm tryna bulk now, and I find that I love sweeter scents when I lose weight (those cravings are real: I sampled TF's Lost Cherry a while later and man was I salivating)... but more masculine ones otherwise. Pretty crazy, I realized recently lol.

My friend has CDNIM, and I do smell some fruits -- some sorta mixture -- but definitely not a strong pineapple, yeah. Perhaps it's hidden somewhere.

I've heard great things about Stronger With You, too. I quite like Armani, and owned the ubiquitous ADG ages ago (and loved the beach-y, citrusy freshness in that one too). But would love to pick up a PdM when circumstances allow..!

Last edited:

DonGately

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Fahrenheit by Dior is a well-known classic, it goes perfectly with my body chemistry, ranked in the top 10 for years for a reason. A true fall/winter scent imo.

R3M0T3

Rookie
Rookie
This is a complete waste of money and time if you just wanna bang heaps of pussy. Maybe if you want a girlfriend it would certainly help.

ulrich

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I was just thinking about this and checking my fragrances and I noticed that ALL the ones I have are a mix of citric and woods:
- Dior Higher Energy
- Bvlgari for men
- Tous Homme

How does this works? Are there preferred mix’s for different seasons? What is the standard?

This is a complete waste of money and time if you just wanna bang heaps of pussy. Maybe if you want a girlfriend it would certainly help.

Not at all. This kind of thing makes you sexier and shows you are socially saavy.

West_Indian_Archie

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
How does this works? Are there preferred mix’s for different seasons? What is the standard?

The general thinking is
Fall and Winter are for warm/spicy/woody scents.
Spring and Summer are for clean/citrus/marine/oceanic/aquatic scents
Office scents are inoffensive
Date scents smell "good" but sit close to the skin
Club scents are project when you stand still, and leave a trail of cologne when you roll out

Super Popular Examples of the different scent situations.
  • F/W - Tom Ford's Extreme Noir, Viktor and Rolf Spicebomb Extreme
  • Spring/Summer - Dolce and Gabbana Light Blue Intense, Prada's Luna Rossa Carbon
  • Office Scent - Sauvage, Bleu De Chanel, Y by YSL (to me all of these smell like shower gel)
  • Date Scent - D&G The One, Armani's Stronger with You
  • Club Scents - Versace Eros

Young guys tend to like sweet and fun scents. Invictus and Eros are considered "young".
Older guys tend to like darker/richer scents.
People that are really into this - tend to like more interesting scents that you don't smell anywhere. Like every hobby, the folks that are into it really like obscure stuff as time goes on.

Notes

Personally, I like tobacco, rum, whisky/scotch, tonka bean, vanilla, clove, cinnamon, and leather type scents.

But a lot of people like cacao, grassy, citrusy, earthy (like when rain hits the concrete), patchouli, fruity scents.

"White florals" - things like carnations - are generally considered more feminine. But you'll see that some fragrances are unisex, and folks will argue that something that's marketed feminine is really for men, and vice versa.

Concentrations and Performance

Technically most of these come in different concentrations, from least to most
  1. Eau de Cologne
  2. Cologne
  3. Eau de Toilet
  4. Eau de Parfum
  5. Parfum
  6. Extrait
Colognes are supposed to project more but not last as long as EDTs
EDT's are supposed to project more than EDPs, but last longer.

So logically, the highest concentration of the scent is supposed to last forever but stay close to the skin.

Not always.

Dior's Sauvage (a super popular scent) comes in an EDT, EDP, and an Extrait strength. The EDT and EDP, smell about the same (to my nose), and the EDT projects more but doesn't last as long as the EDP.

But the Extrait (called Sauvage Elixir) on the other hand, which is supposed to be the most concentrated form of the scent - smells absolutely different.

Classification of Cologne Makers

Most folks are familiar with colognes made by Fashion Designers. - Those are called designer. (Polo, Prada, Hugo Boss) - usually around 100 bucks per bottle. (a bottle should last 9 months, at 5 sprays per day)

Then there are colognes made by people that just make scents - These are called niche. (Creed, Guerlain, Le Labo)
And then there are up and comers called Indies (independent small houses trying to become rich niche houses, imo)- Scotch and Porter might be an indie.

And if you're really deep in the game, there are "attars" and stuff out of the Middle East, where they've been dealing with scents for millennia, that basically started the whole French/Italian/English take on it. Incense, Oud, Saffron, Rose, and a whole lot more scents that are unusual on a man for The West start to show up.

Flankers

When there's a good selling cologne, the maker will put out a new version of the scent with slightly different notes.

Acqua Di Gio by Armani is the best selling cologne of all time. And so there are at least 20 different versions over the years.

Right now Acqua Di Gio Profondo Lights is the popular flanker from that line.

Buying Colognes General Advice

Anyway, if you're just getting into fragrance my advice is to NEVER buy a full bottle, when you can get a 5ml sample that will last a month of constant use.

Never buy at full retail - And if you want a full bottle, cologne is something that lasts forever and ends up being resold from department stores to grey market resellers. So if it doesn't sell at Macy's, internet outfits and places like Perfumania will buy the dead stock and discount them for everyone else. A lot like sneakers to be honest.

Colognes generally last a long time. Depending on how you wear them - A typical 100 ml bottle of anything should last 9 months at 5 sprays per day - and 5 sprays can be overkill, and most of the time you're not going to wear the same cologne every day. You'll want to switch it up. 3-4 bottles should last 5 years. You'll be bored of the scent before you finish off the bottle. Unless I really like something, I get the sample, then the small bottle, then the large bottle, and if I can't find a clone - that's when I'll pay full retail.

Cost != Quality - And cost of the cologne is not really correlated with how good it smells to you, and to others. In general, most of the cost of any cologne is in the bottle. Much like the rest of fashion - they spend most of their money on marketing not product development. And usually there's a clone of any given popular fragrance that take advantage of this fact.

Scent and Grooming in General

Part of why women are so attractive (aside from genetics, diet, exercise, hygiene, make up, and clothing)

She uses shampoo and conditioner that make her hair smell one way.
Soap, lotions, and deodorant.
Perfume
Moisturizers for her skin

If you get the opportunity to take her in from head to toe, she'll have so many different areas to marvel at. Her toes, calves, her nether regions...you'll taste the products on her neck....

A girl that's well put together will hit you in some many different areas that it's essentially psy-ops/mental warfare.
A chick that knows what she's doing will essentially attack all of your senses.

And that's a good approach for us.

Most dudes could up their "raw score" by focusing on their presentation.
Becoming more conventionally attractive obviously means your game is used less, but in some cases there's a "ticket price" for some chicks. They won't even let you start, if you're not hitting certain notes.

And if you're short, chubby, or anything else - your presentation has to be even better than average.

WIA

DonGately

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/John-Varvatos/John-Varvatos-2355.html is another good one for f/w.

WIA, my advice to the forum is to buy the smallest bottle once you've decided [after using the testers/5ml] because after a ~year the alcohol & water content starts to evaporate for cologne/eau de cologne and the smell will change slightly.

Great advice about never paying full price, you can always find a deal on these.

Orgasmatron

Space Monkey
space monkey
I like Prada L'homme for the office and Bleu de Chanel as a general allrounder.
Also like Paco Rabanne Invictus, but that's probably more of a weekend scent.

Got some sample bottles for Spicebomb Extreme and Tom Ford Noir, so might give these a go based on the advice above for the winter months.

There's a guy called Jeremy Fragrance on YouTube who does 'before you buy' guides that are worth a look if you're thinking of getting anything in particular.

Tr1cky

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I’ve don’t wear much cologne I’ve always followed @Gunwitch advice on it, who says hes gotten some of his worst blowouts when wearing cologne, even light amounts.

I stole this from Andrew Tate which goes along with what @West_Indian_Archie says about different zones, Before going out I will spray a small amount in the belly button. Girls will smell it at a very particular time….always good reactions.

West_Indian_Archie

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
@Tr1cky

I really do think that a man has to start crafting his image. Rocking cologne wasn't me when I started out. But now, it's part of it.

The other thing, after you get a decent notch count, where having sex is not an accomplishment - then the desire to change your self, change your behavior to optimize the hook up, recedes.

Like for me, if a really attractive (subjective to me) chick has a pet, I don't want to hook up with her at all, ever, not even at my place. Passing on a nice Hapa and an Indian chick because they both own a cat and dog respectively. I'm not dealing with that.

If she doesn't like to try new food, or is generally weird about it, I'm done. Dropped a West African with Ridiculous body because she's horrible to dine with.

So losing a chick because "I smell like her Ex". No problem, 2 fingers!

So it comes back to where you are on the journey. I've already dated "The One" several times.

I guess I'm basically at the end of this path and have been here for years.

WIA

>