A Part Deux of Alek's Fashion Article?

Souverain

Space Monkey
space monkey
I was just reading through Teevster's article on fashion and thought, "Hey, it'd be great to read a part two if he has some ideas/the inclination to work on it!"

Some topics of interest for me, are:
  1. Examples of outfits to wear. The first enumerated a good bunch of fundamentals. Those, accentuated with examples this time around, would be of great practical help
  2. Calibrating fashion to environments... and perhaps places where it pays to stand out more, and other where blending in is the way to go. This may be of help to anyone (like me) who errs on the conservative side of dressing far too often
  3. In his experience, the ideal physique to strive for, for the best look. I know that at the moment a loose consensus is a lean athletic look, but screw the consensus -- is that the sexiest to the most women? Can we not put on another 15-20lb of fat and muscle to look more lumberjack-ish, and wear flannel and boots? Of course, that may be one's own choice, but getting an opinion on what an urban, nightclub-going, modern woman prefers would be nice to know
  4. A summer fashion guide, for when the lockdowns end
  5. Any other pearls of wisdom from his experiences in the field of fashion

Alek if you're reading this, consider this a formal request for another article!
Thanks!

Teevster

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Hey. Sorry for not getting back at you.

I may consider this request, although it is unlikely that I will do it for a few simple reasons:
- I don't write about something I am not an expert in. Not saying I dress poorly, quite the opposite. I am a fashion freak, a guy who has this as one of his main hobbies. But I honestly, if we have natural in pick up (guys who are good with women who do not know about the mechanisms behind his actions), then consider me a natural in fashion. I go by gut feeling. I do not have any particular rules of principles that I follow. This makes it difficult to touch.
- And teaching something is not the same as knowing or being good at something. This is something I learned the hard way at GC. I was good with women, and I knew what I was doing, but learning how to teach students my skills and make them truly understand the concepts is a whole different story. Took me a bit of time to grasp that.

I am very proud of my articles. And I have a certain standard I do not want to break. I hope you understand.
Examples of outfits to wear. The first enumerated a good bunch of fundamentals. Those, accentuated with examples this time around, would be of great practical help

This is very individual and depends where you go. I am a bit against the idea of telling people what to wear without seeing them first. One thing is calibrating outfits to their looks. But then there are other factors such as:
- What they want to achieve with the outfit
- Which social settings they want to frequent with the outfit
- The social codes of their environment
- Their personality. One thing is to wear a cool outfit, another is knowing how to carry it.

As you see, there are plenty of important variables at play and my knowledge in applying those variables to random guys is beyond my knowledge.

Calibrating fashion to environments... and perhaps places where it pays to stand out more, and other where blending in is the way to go. This may be of help to anyone (like me) who errs on the conservative side of dressing far too often

This really depends also on so many factors.
- There are 1000s of different environments. If not more.
- And it depends how rebellious you are. You can get away with dressing differently in a certain venues if you not only know how to tweak that outfit to the scene your a frequenting, but also you level of confidence (i.e. how good you are at "carrying" the outfit).
In his experience, the ideal physique to strive for, for the best look. I know that at the moment a loose consensus is a lean athletic look, but screw the consensus -- is that the sexiest to the most women? Can we not put on another 15-20lb of fat and muscle to look more lumberjack-ish, and wear flannel and boots? Of course, that may be one's own choice, but getting an opinion on what an urban, nightclub-going, modern woman prefers would be nice to know

I don't work ou. I have belly fat. I am not the guy to ask about the ideal physique lol.
A summer fashion guide, for when the lockdowns end

I never carried for summer fashion. I wear shorts and stuff just for comfort - not for "style".
Aside from lighter jackets (or dropping it totally) or switching them out to cool longarmed (always) shirts I do not do much to my summer style - aside from maybe adding sunglasses to the mix.

I hope this clarifies my reservations.
Best,
Teevster

Souverain

Space Monkey
space monkey
Hey Alek,

That's fair, I understand you prefer writing articles about topics you (1) are consciously good at, and (2) can impart your knowledge. So that's cool. Thanks for getting back about this.

If you have the time/inclination, though, any resources on, or off the Internet you have for guys intending to improve their fashion? I understand that someone as invested as you are might learn intuitively, from everywhere...but any good resources or activities (to improve) for a beginner?

Thanks again!

Teevster

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Hey Alek,

That's fair, I understand you prefer writing articles about topics you (1) are consciously good at, and (2) can impart your knowledge. So that's cool. Thanks for getting back about this.

If you have the time/inclination, though, any resources on, or off the Internet you have for guys intending to improve their fashion? I understand that someone as invested as you are might learn intuitively, from everywhere...but any good resources or activities (to improve) for a beginner?

Thanks again!

Hey no problem. Thank you for understanding.

Regarding resources for beginners : sadly no, I do not have any. I didn't get into fashion through the web, but instead hanged in certain circles (gay clubs mostly and then eventually fashion oriented night clubs).

I need to clarify that there is a huge different between "men's style" and fashion. The first one is about how to dress according to the current trends, and dress in a way that makes you look better.

Fashion is a totally different beast. It is art - it is alternative, it is creative.

I don't even know, nor care about current trends in men's clothing.

Best,
Alek

Last edited:

Souverain

Space Monkey
space monkey
Hey no problem. Thank you for understanding.

Regarding resources for beginners : sadly no, I do not have any. I didn't get into fashion through the web, but instead hanged in certain circles (gay clubs mostly and then eventually fashion oriented night clubs).

I need to clarify that there is a huge different between "men's style" and fashion. The first one is about how to dress according to the current trends, and dress in a way that makes you look better.

Fashion is a totally different beast. It is art - it is alternative, it is creative.

I don't even know, nor care about current trends in men's clothing.

Best,
Alek
That's interesting -- the difference between what you call style and fashion. Obviously, since most guys' goal is to just look better, just "style" suffises for most of us. Fashion's a cool subject though, and there's endless innovation/creative thought that's seen there, so... pretty fascinating. But thanks for chiming in man; guess I'm gonna start by befriending some fashionable gay dudes rn!

Teevster

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
That's interesting -- the difference between what you call style and fashion. Obviously, since most guys' goal is to just look better, just "style" suffises for most of us. Fashion's a cool subject though, and there's endless innovation/creative thought that's seen there, so... pretty fascinating. But thanks for chiming in man; guess I'm gonna start by befriending some fashionable gay dudes rn!

That sounds like a great idea. You are welcome to tag me in threads when you need my assistance. I don't mind helping out as a forum member. But as an article writer on the Girlschase mainsite, I have less leeway... But here.. I can allow myself to talk a bit more freely.

Best thing to do is to get a gay friend (who is into fashion - not all gay men are) or a fashionista like me (can be a stright guy or girl).

DO NOT FEMALES FOR ADVICE ON CLOTHING. It is always garbage advice - unless she is into fashion.
Fun fact: most women dress like shit.

Best,
Alek

Last edited:

Souverain

Space Monkey
space monkey
That sounds like a great idea. You are welcome to tag me in threads when you need my assistance. I don't mind helping out as a forum member. But as an article writer on the Girlschase mainsite, I have less leeway... But here.. I can allow myself to talk a bit more freely.

Best thing to do is to get a gay friend (who is into fashion - not all gay men are) or a fashionista like me (can be a stright guy or girl).

DO NOT FEMALES FOR ADVICE ON CLOTHING. It is always garbage advice - unless she is into fashion.
Fun fact: most women dress like shit.

Best,
Alek
Thanks Alek -- gotcha on the women part. I'll be sure to avoid querying women on my fashion sense. Especially those who, I myself, know, don't dress spectacularly. Stylish people seem to be quite common when you walk around in a big city, but actually, 95% of the people we come across don't dress that great. Even most of the cool ones. They may be trendy, but even then, it's too casual. Not much thought put into it.
And yeah, that's cool - I get you can be freer in the forum, less bound be other constraints.

Quick pick of my indoor jackets.... I have another closet with outdoor jackets (denim jackets, leather jackets, coats (got 7 coats...) and i have a closed full of sweater jeans, t-shirts, etc.... At my dad's i have many more blazers.... (I only have 5 here, including 1 normal black)

View attachment 212
Holy crap that is something! I checked out a bunch of your fashion posts, and despite knowing your propensity to flamboyance, didn't expect this kind of a wardrobe. After seeing this I'm gonna go buy myself a fancy-looking coat or two. My biggest problem so far, I'd say, is a dearth of adventurousness in my dressing. I have three coats: a simple leather jacket from Zara, a grey wool cardigan (that I think looks quite decent with my long hair) and a light blue blazer, which I quite like. So quite a traditional/boring collection.

Lemme see if I can find a colorful jacket/coat off the Internet

burnbland

Rookie
Rookie
Newbie here, altough geared towards classic mens style (which I prefer), Alan Flusser Dressing the man is a gold mine on how to complement skin tone, eyes and physiqe with color, fits and proportions (whichever style one chooses)

In a nut shell, clothing should draw attention to you, your face, eyes, not distract. And should complement your physiqe, minimize flaws and lift strengths

Styleforum.net is also a great resource.

Personally i prefer odd trousers, knitted polo shirt(fabric, style dep. on season) or dark shirts and sports coat blazer

sharp, masculine, not too dressed up, comfortable, works in almost every environment

Trousers are a bitch to find good fitting ready to wear, i dont wear "lady" cuts

High and wide, so you can eat, dance and kick :)

Last edited:

Teevster

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Newbie here, altough geared towards classic mens style (which I prefer), Alan Flusser Dressing the man is a gold mine on how to complement skin tone, eyes and physiqe with color, fits and proportions (whichever style one chooses)

Cool thanks will take a look.

In a nut shell, clothing should draw attention to you, your face, eyes, not distract.

Here you lost me. Because you can have the most pretty face ever... if a girl is not seeing you in the first place, then it is all for nothing. This is where flashy clothes comes in.

Additionally, I fail to see how nice clothes become mere "distractions". I have never had this issue, and theoretically speaking I fail to see this happening IRL. Yes she may look at your clothes first - and then if she is curious she will want to check out the rest of the man - i.e. look at your face, hold eye contact and so on.

You need to elaborate more on this premise.
And should complement your physiqe, minimize flaws and lift strengths

Here I agree.

Thanks will take a look.

Personally i prefer odd trousers, knitted polo shirt(fabric, style dep. on season) or dark shirts and sports coat blazer

Obviously not my style, but if you make it work, more power to you. I personally would not wear any of those items.

sharp, masculine, not too dressed up, comfortable, works in almost every environment

The word sharp and masculine is overused and abused in the clothing/fashion world, but means absolutely nothing, especially if you take into consideration trends, sex symbols and fashion from different eras... you will see tons of outfits that are considered more feminine and others that are considered more masculine. I think this distinction is bollocks. It is how you wear it, and in combination with what, and in which setting.

PS; women usually tend to favor masculine men who dress feminine, but hate feminine men who dress feminine.
Trousers are a bitch to find good fitting ready to wear, i dont wear "lady" cuts

What is a lady cut? Skinny fit? Baggy pants is rarely considered sexy (Casanova wore fucking stockings, Mick Jagger wore skinny pants, so did Axel Rose....

List goes on.

The only "masculine" item you mentioned here that is ACTUALLY sexy is the Blazer (or suit). Everything else is just dick crack - clothes designed to please men, and not the female eye.

Best,
Alek

Souverain

Space Monkey
space monkey

In a nut shell, clothing should draw attention to you, your face, eyes, not distract. And should complement your physiqe, minimize flaws and lift strengths

High and wide, so you can eat, dance and kick :)
Thanks for sharing that man, checked it out. It seems like an ideal resource for an investment banker, or for a fat cat out at the derby lol. Also good for weddings and such. I guess the principles can be applied elsewhere (matching color, tailoring for fit, etc.) but not sure how you'd pull off that kind of stolid dressing out when talking to girls. Interested to hear what you think!

Here you lost me. Because you can have the most pretty face ever... if a girl is not seeing you in the first place, then it is all for nothing. This is where flashy clothes comes in.

Additionally, I fail to see how nice clothes become mere "distractions". I have never had this issue, and theoretically speaking I fail to see this happening IRL. Yes she may look at your clothes first - and then if she is curious she will want to check out the rest of the man - i.e. look at your face, hold eye contact and so on.

Here I agree.

Thanks will take a look.

Obviously not my style, but if you make it work, more power to you. I personally would not wear any of those items.

The word sharp and masculine is overused and abused in the clothing/fashion world, but means absolutely nothing, especially if you take into consideration trends, sex symbols and fashion from different eras... you will see tons of outfits that are considered more feminine and others that are considered more masculine. I think this distinction is bollocks. It is how you wear it, and in combination with what, and in which setting.

PS; women usually tend to favor masculine men who dress feminine, but hate feminine men who dress feminine.

What is a lady cut? Skinny fit? Baggy pants is rarely considered sexy (Casanova wore fucking stockings, Mick Jagger wore skinny pants, so did Axel Rose....

List goes on.

The only "masculine" item you mentioned here that is ACTUALLY sexy is the Blazer (or suit). Everything else is just dick crack - clothes designed to please men, and not the female eye.

Best,
Alek
That's an interesting way to put it Alek -- that women like masculine guys who, nonetheless, incorporate femininity in their outfits. Never really thought of it like that. No wonder you emphasize skinny cuts, sleek Chelseas and all-round expressive/flamboyant patterns hahah

I'd be interested to hear your opinion on accessories, especially watches, colognes and shoes (other than chelseas).
The retro, 80s style is making a comeback now...especially that $20 steel Casio I see everywhere. Think that's a good item to wear? Or still too nerdy/hipster for a fashionable, well-put-together look? If so, what could be some alternatives? G Shocks too juvenile...perhaps just a stainless steel analog?
How about perfumes? Checked out what Chase recommended (the Victoria's Secret) pretty good. Also checked out La Nuit by YSL, and quite like that too. Heard the latter's something of a chick magnet but I haven't bought it yet. Anything you like wearing?

Thanks for sharing!

Rain

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I never carried for summer fashion. I wear shorts and stuff just for comfort - not for "style".
Aside from lighter jackets (or dropping it totally) or switching them out to cool longarmed (always) shirts I do not do much to my summer style - aside from maybe adding sunglasses to the mix.
Hi,

During the summer do you wear shorts when meeting women daytime/nighttime or do you always switch to jeans if you have time to do approaches in the summer?

If you were to wear a lighter jacket, would your shirt always be longarmed/longsleeve or could that change with a jacket as that would be a long sleeve layer so you could get away with a short sleeve shirt underneath? Or nope, always long sleeve regardless of outer layer?

In the thread linked below, you mentioned a floral shirt. Is that a tee shirt, or collar shirt, or either can work?

A summer fashion guide, for when the lockdowns end
Hi,

Teevster and a few others have said what they plan to wear during summer time of the year:

Souverain

Space Monkey
space monkey
Hi,

During the summer do you wear shorts when meeting women daytime/nighttime or do you always switch to jeans if you have time to do approaches in the summer?

If you were to wear a lighter jacket, would your shirt always be longarmed/longsleeve or could that change with a jacket as that would be a long sleeve layer so you could get away with a short sleeve shirt underneath? Or nope, always long sleeve regardless of outer layer?

In the thread linked below, you mentioned a floral shirt. Is that a tee shirt, or collar shirt, or either can work?

Hi,

Teevster and a few others have said what they plan to wear during summer time of the year:
Thanks for the link man. Nice advice by Skills and Alek. Magic fox has some pretty cool templates to model off of. Think I'll try a couple out.
Also a good idea to have that link on this thread

Teevster

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
That's an interesting way to put it Alek -- that women like masculine guys who, nonetheless, incorporate femininity in their outfits. Never really thought of it like that. No wonder you emphasize skinny cuts, sleek Chelseas and all-round expressive/flamboyant patterns hahah

Well, typical masculine outfits that are sexy and masculine are not cargo pants lol, but rather suits, smoking, leather jackets, and blazers. That's the only "masculine" outfits I think are sexy. Sadly so many manly outfits are just conformist and boring. How does that make one sexy?
I'd be interested to hear your opinion on accessories, especially watches, colognes and shoes (other than chelseas).

I never wear watches, so I will not express myself on this. I tend to stick to bracelets and necklaces.

But I would never wear a steel Casio watch... like EVER. The 90's "ghettotrend" that is re-emerging is just awful. It protects you more than condoms when it comes to STD's and getting babies. That's how bad this trend it. No Adidas sweatpants please!

How about perfumes? Checked out what Chase recommended (the Victoria's Secret) pretty good. Also checked out La Nuit by YSL, and quite like that too. Heard the latter's something of a chick magnet but I haven't bought it yet. Anything you like wearing?

I stopped wearing cologne 2 years ago... for two main reasons: because the one I used to love is not in protection anymore (Escada Moon Sparkle). That said, the Paco Raban 1 million is nice.

The other reason is because I am experimenting with natural smelling - i.e. not have anything camouflaging your natural smell (my body smell is apparently nice according to women).

I also have not noticed much difference in regards to results after cutting out cologne - so why spend so much money on it, when the benefits are limited.

Best,
Alek

Teevster

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Hi,

Shorts are mostly for comfort. I tend to just stick to 1 blue jean and 1 black jean short (slim fit, never skinny for shorts) which I will use on the hottest days. But again mostly for comfort. Shorts is not fashionable, it is not sexy. It is just a comfortable outfit for hot summer days.

I mostly do night game, so I will always go for pants.

If I go on a date or happen to interact during the day, it will mostly happen in the late afternoon/evening, simply because I am not a morning person, nor a "daytime" person.

In general, a long armed shirt is always to be preferred. But again, for hot summer days there is comfort in short-sleeves...

But in your case - no if you are covered the sleeves with your jacket, it won't matter how long your sleeves are really - since nobody will see it. Additionally, you are not breaking any fashion rules by having a jacket over short-sleeves.

Collar Shirt.

1623799953727.png

It is this one actually...

In general... if I go for T's I tend to go for plain shirts and focus on fit. Usually go for black or white. I also like V-necks or scoop necks if I am wearing it under a shirt (like above which is a scoop neck).

However I can enjoy a t-shirt with a discrete and stylish print... but it quickly becomes cheap-looking or silly. I would go for funny prints for "home-clothing".

You never want your outfit to be accentuated through a t-shirt - but rather a cool shirt or jacket etc...

What about polos? HELL NO.

Best,
Alek

burnbland

Rookie
Rookie

Here I agree.

Thanks will take a look.

List goes on.

Best,
Alek
Thanks for taking the time to go trough my post so thorougly, and the goal here is to bring home the bacon not just get complements and you guys are most certainly ahead of me there so my own style was mostly for reference. Therefore I'm not offended if yous dont pay any attention.

with distractions i mean something incoherent to the overall impression be that in the outfit itself or in relation to the wearer

this could be color, fit, style, fabric, seasonality formality-grade etc.

You are probably right about the feminity aspect given the goals here

Personally i'm short with somewhat of a baby face so I feel a need to go with less extra on that front, also I am in my mid thirties (I do like to wear scarves sometimes though which can be seen as a somewhat feminine touch)

lady cut was said cheekily, just mean trousers that sits lower, squeeze your balls, more easily break in the crotch and are harder to move freely in.
They are also harder or impossible to create the same nice line in your silouette compared to a trouser that rests on your hip. So not baggy, my trousers as altered or tailored with a slight slant so they are longer back than in the front so the trouser rests exactly at the top of my foot without a break which otherwise is "standard"( from Flusser, for short men to avoid details that break the vertical line)
But your right about the many famous ladykillers sporting low tight styles l and sure you are right about how/where you wear stuff, it's the most important I would say, the how anyway.

So hopefully having clarified that I am not saying dress the styles from the book or what I'm wearing lets take an example with the floral shirt in the thread that Flusser would't wear and me neither probably but might work great on someone.

The ability to sport brighter colors increases with the darkness of your skin tone. Red is often unflattering for white folks unless with a deep tan.

It is often flattering to have a color (could be a detail) in the shirt (if we are talking a one upper garment summer piece thats colorful, for brown i would not recommend a shirt-shirt hehe) that roughly matches your eye or hair color, it helps draw attention upwards.

For fit, a number of points come to mind at the moment to keep an eye on;the chest, the shoulder seam, the length, the waist and also the collar both height (higher neck, higher collar) and how it points and how deep (flatters different head shapes), sleeve length

Flusser got some good notes, late here now so no time to elucidate

different stiffness and different weights of fabric give different leeways with these parameters except perhaps the collar.

"Roominess" should also, in my view also match the "roominess" of your trousers (there are of course exceptions)

edit: And also re polos and direction of stuff i sorta like if anyone cares, except bit too much mr ripley trust fund baby, but add some deadlift and steak-pounds, some more 5 o'clock shades and bit darker color palettes and i'm with it on quite a lot of the non-suit ones https://dieworkwear.com/2019/04/27/can-polos-ever-be-good/

Last edited:

Souverain

Space Monkey
space monkey
Well, typical masculine outfits that are sexy and masculine are not cargo pants lol, but rather suits, smoking, leather jackets, and blazers. That's the only "masculine" outfits I think are sexy. Sadly so many manly outfits are just conformist and boring. How does that make one sexy?

I never wear watches, so I will not express myself on this. I tend to stick to bracelets and necklaces.

But I would never wear a steel Casio watch... like EVER. The 90's "ghettotrend" that is re-emerging is just awful. It protects you more than condoms when it comes to STD's and getting babies. That's how bad this trend it. No Adidas sweatpants please!

I stopped wearing cologne 2 years ago... for two main reasons: because the one I used to love is not in protection anymore (Escada Moon Sparkle). That said, the Paco Raban 1 million is nice.

The other reason is because I am experimenting with natural smelling - i.e. not have anything camouflaging your natural smell (my body smell is apparently nice according to women).

I also have not noticed much difference in regards to results after cutting out cologne - so why spend so much money on it, when the benefits are limited.

Best,
Alek
That's true man. I think a lot of style advice, both online and off, becomes regurgitated bits of wisdom that mostly aims to impress other men. So it's always cool to hear about stuff that pleases women. The conditioning runs pretty deep... there's always a bit of shame when one starts dressing sexier. Tighter fits and louder patterns draw attention and I think it's usually the bad kind from other men. So I think those starting out must be a little insensitive to this kind of feedback, and more responsive to chicks' feedback. I dunno why as a straight guy that social pressure affects me a bit.

On the 80s/90s trend, gotcha. I sorta see it everywhere now. Streetwear and contemporary style, as well as hip-hop/pop start style (both undoubtably linked) really are projecting a certain image now. Guess it's up to us to experiment and see what fits. I see what you mean when the Casios and Gshocks are ugly. They really are, to my eye. But, in the spirit of experimentation, I've gone ahead and bought the gold Casio. I wanna see if I get any results from riding the wave :) amazon better be ready for my returns if I don't lol

I hear ya on the Adidas sweatpants -- I own a pair and they're strictly lounging material for me. I just bought a pair of black skinny jeans from Uniqlo today. i want to see if I can pull those off with a couple v-neck t-shirts, or a patterned shirt with a cardigan, and chelseas.

Hey, thanks a bunch for your time over hear Alek. I really appreciate your feedback/opinions man!

@Chase

Hey Chase. Just dragging you once again into this thread to present a suggestion/request. I remember you mentioning an update on the sexy walk article, that there were a few points you'd have liked to add (pertaining to speed, and how one can vary that depending on setting). I wanted to request an update to the fashion article you wrote as well. Perhaps as a collab with Alek; I understand that articles on the site may have to follow stricter criteria (hence Alek's reluctance to write a new one), but perhaps yours can be updated (especially because there are constant changes in fashion... eg, cowboy boots/chelseas/oxfords may be timeless but sneakers are def trend-dependent, and so are trouser cuts, I feel). I understand there are more important things to attend to, but when you have the time for it, I'd love to read updates to some of the articles dealing with outward-facing fundamentals, especially those that are trend-/context- dependent (fashion, walk, bringing the energy, roles/archetypes for the social climate of the 2020s, etc)

Gracias!

>