Books which we have read and recommend

DarkKnight

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Hi, I thought it was helpful to have a list of books that we have read and recommend. I have just finished up reading pre-suasion and Velasco also mentioned reading it in his post about the honesty frame. That book IS basically game and disects things like peacocking, preselection, investment, ego depletion etc. A very worthwhile read.

Other books that come to mind and are good reads:

The Prince by Machiavelli
The Iliad and Odyssey by Homer
Winning through intimidation by Ringer
The Godfather by Mario Puzo
Lord of the rings by Tolkien because I am a nerd
A song of ice and fire (lol last book was in 2010 or 2011, sixth one still hasn't come out)
There are plenty more but I have forgotten a lot of titles and some of them are just too nerdy to mention, haha.

Last edited:

Velasco

Modern Human
Glad you liked the book, DarkKnight :)

Here's a excellent list of the best books on persuasion put together by persuasion extraordinaire, Scott Adams of Dilbert fame:

Chrance

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Books I Recommend:
Moby Dick by Melville
The Value of Science by Henri Poincare
War and Peace by Tolstoi
For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway
The 3 Critiques of Kant
Everything by Schopenhauer
Dragonball and DBZ (manga but idgaf)
The Iliad and the Odyssey by Homer
Mystery Method by mystery
The Bible (only the King James Version)

Books I don’t recommend:
The Count of Monte Cristo (sorry Frenchmen)
Great Expectations (sorry Englishmen)
Anything by Napoleon Hill
A Song of Ice and Fire (sorry @DarkKnight)

Last edited:

Protean

Space Monkey
space monkey
Great thread @DarkKnight Here are some of my favorites:
  • Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss - I’m only half way through but my god what a read. While the book is about negotiation, many of the rapport building strategies are absolutely applicable to pick up.
  • Influence by Robert Cialdini - If you haven’t read this drop everything and get it off Amazon now. It’s that good.
  • The Shallows by Nicholas Carr - While I didn’t agree with everything Carr wrote, he convinced got me to kick my mindless browsing of YouTube and Reddit. It’s the antidote for internet addiction.
  • Moneyball by Michael Lewis - Even if you aren’t a baseball fan read this book. Really opened my eyes as to how wrong conventional wisdom can be and the edge one gains from using more effective strategies.
  • The 4 Disciplines of Execution by Chris McChesney, Sean Covey, and Jim Huling - While the book is for improving as a business, I’ve applied many of their strategies on a personal level to great effect
Reading is so important guys. Most people read less than one book a year but we’re striving for more than most people right ;)

- Protean

DarkKnight

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
@Protean It just seemed to be an obvious missing post. I recall some blogposts from Blackdragon (at least I think it was him) where he recommends some good books.

Train

Space Monkey
space monkey
A life-changing book I've read is "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Robert A Glover.

As a recovering "nice" guy, the book held a mirror to myself and said "That's you." It called out the root of why I do typical nice guy things. For approval. I wasn't aware fully until I read this book.

I recommend it for any guy that ever wonders why girls go for the jerks. Or wonders why their niceness is not appreciated. Eye-opener.

If you apply the concepts, it's intoxicating to not hold your true self back for approval.

uriel

Space Monkey
space monkey
Pre-suasion by Robert Cialdini is probably the best book I have ever read on influencing people.

Two warnings, though.
1) For some reason it is a very heavy read. I fell asleep ten times while reading it. But the information is golden.

2) It doesn’t cover seduction on detail but it’s amazing nevertheless.

DML

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
This book helped me a lot, and will probably help a lot of people with unstructured goals get to new heights.

No Excuses!: The Power of Self-Discipline by Bryan Tracy.