Calls & Texts  Texting mistakes?

Higher

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Met this Asian gal a couple days ago. Usual indirect-then-compliment approach.

She was smiling but keeping her distance. I took the hint she was not comfortable, so i told her not to worry, i dont wanna rob you, and distanced myself too, turning my body away from her while still interacting and in generally being warm.

We had a strong language barrier going, i had to use DeepL/GT quite a bit while deep-diving her. She did the same and showed my some stuff on her phone. Shes strong in psychology and has a life mission, so that was pretty interesting.

The interaction lasted a few minutes. At the end of it i just kept quiet and stared at the beautiful scenery. She stood by silently and on her phone. I took this as a good sign.

After a minute or so, she asks me how long i stay in the city. Just a few days, i say, and id like to get you out for a drink. She smiles and says ok, tomorrow night we can.

We exchange numbers. She doesnt have WhatsApp, so we agree to fallback to good ol' SMS tech. We hug goodbye.

Ciao :sun:
Where are you? (in her language)
[2/20, 14:41] Hello, enki (she writes this in my language and on WhatsApp)
[2/20, 14:44] I just finished my tour of X

[2/20, 14:56] Ciao X
Ill be free soon, finishing with work
[2/20, 14:58] I downloaded WhatsApp yesterday. I messaged you on WhatsApp.
[2/20, 14:59] Yes :thumb-up:
[2/20, 15:45] (im still at home and i send her my location) Im here now, where are u?
[2/20, 16:50] enki, I'd love to see you, but I can't.
[2/20, 16:51] I am not as good at English as you.
[2/20, 16:52] So I'm concerned that we can't talk smoothly

--

Shes clearly not comfortable with the idea of meeting up.

I guess i shoulda pulled back here. Maybe with "if the language is the problem, we can use DeepL/GT. If something elses the problem and you dont feel comfortable, we dont have to meet".

Unfortunately i went for the plow instead.

--

[2/20, 16:55] We can use GT (i write this in her language)
[2/20, 16:56] (pic)
[2/20, 16:56] And we can simply watch the scenery (again in her lang)
[2/20, 18:03] I'm so sorry, enki. I have a terrible headache.
[2/20, 18:03] How long will you stay in X?

[2/20, 18:11] Its ok X, youre not feeling it
Enjoy X
I leave tomorrow

Now, im cool with the fact that she was not feeling it anymore. That can happen and its completely fine. (EDIT: might have been on her period too)

How would you pros have played this?

Last edited:

Adventurer

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
"I'll be free soon" and "I'm here now, where are you" are both weird, it sounds like chasing but without actually inviting her. She already agreed to the date during the interaction, just use the 14 texts article messages next time, when the interaction is strong (like it was there), it's almost a guaranteed date

DarkJedi

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
She was invested, downloaded the app for you. She voiced her concerns clearly (not being able to communicate). She's basically insecure about her English. The way out would have been to keep it lighthearted and make her comfortable.

During the approach, when there's a big language barrier, I think its best to keep it simple and superficial, fun. Not deep dive so much. Needing all the deepdive with Google Translate already makes her think "ohh this is gonna be tough" when she's already insecure about her English.

As for the texting, you were chasing a bit much without trying to close. Also, when she objected, maybe some flirty humor would have worked better instead of addressing her objections logically:
Enki: Can't talk smoothly?! We were so smoooth when we met :D
Enki: I'd love to see you as well. Come for a drink. We're gonna stare at the stars and drink good wine in this amazing city

>