Approach appropriateness - What's your view?

aquapura001

Rookie
Rookie
I want people's view on whether it's appropriate to go into girls in certain situations. I feel like sometimes it can be considered a little much - but i think this is in my head and just my own perception and limiting beliefs. So i'm doing day game and walking down this very empty side street in the middle of the day. A hot girl was coming opposite direction it was dead quiet just me and her. I wanted to stop and open her but something held me back because didn't feel the situation was 'appropriate' like maybe she would consider it unsafe? Other situations i sometimes get cold feet on:

(1) Girls sitting down away from people say in a park. I sometimes get the feeling because they are so 'locked in' it puts them in a difficult situation because they can't bail. BTW i know this is bullshit because i've fucked lots of girls before from seated DG approaches. But for some reason i still get this feeling before i go in sometimes.

(2) when you kind of walk past and they move or turn at the instant you're about to go in it seems awkward to turn around again and open.

Can someone please tell me is this all in my head and am i being a pussy? Maybe it's approach anxiety but sometimes i do feel like the approach is 'too much' and i think from their perspective. How do i change these beliefs to always go in?

Thanks

Gaturro

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
If you believe you passed your window of opportunity you can act surprised and say “wow, blablabla” as if you were processing what you just saw. For example you walk past and then say “you know what, you look just like a girl I know” or something like that

There is just one situation I couldn’t handle yesterday. I saw a group of 5 beautiful girls sitting on a table outside of a Starbucks. There were like 20 empty tables around so it didn’t make sense for me to approach. How would you guys handle that??

Will_V

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
It's hard to say exactly what is appropriate, because it also depends on everything you do leading up, during and after.

Something I have found very useful for dealing with situations where I felt out of my depth is to just be very, very nice. Cheerful, smiling, complimentary, even a bit embarrassed/abashed if it's appropriate, and above all focused only on making the other person feel good rather than results. It can get you a foot in the door when you'd otherwise feel overwhelmed.

The more an approach breaks social rules and conventions, the more you have to show that you are aware of them with extra warmth and grace and avoiding adding too much pressure too quickly.

XO!

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
This response is for both @aquapura001 and @Gaturro.

@aquapura001, for the two scenarios you presented, I wouldn't necessarily consider them to be inappropriate per se, just ones that require a greater degree of commitment and audacity to pull off successfully. The latter might be a 50/50 where she's noticed that you're about to approach and is making an effort to avoid you (try not to get noticed until you're ready to approach), but it's also just as likely that it's coincidental and that you're psyching yourself out. In either case, if you find yourself moving to approach while you're in an active approach window, yet you fail to follow through, it can often be creepier than simply completing the approach. If creepiness can be boiled down to uncertainty, then you'd bode well to dispel uncertainty in this situation. Don't hide the banana - if she notices that you're gonna approach, lean into it and commit. She'll act accordingly.

For higher-stakes "impossible" approaches, ranging from girls who are sitting down, to girls who are eating alone, to girls who are on the phone, to girls who are with their families, etc, you'll just have to call an audible on many of these situations, and rightly so. Listening to your natural instincts and being socially calibrated doesn't make you a beta. And sometimes waiting for just two seconds can legitimately turn an "impossible" approach into an easy lay-up, but as we as daygamers know, time is of the essence, you might literally only have those two seconds to approach, if not less.

If that's the case, then as @Will_V talked about in a recent thread, in daygame approach situations where you have no prior social context that'll "allow" you to approach, you must create one. With "impossible" approaches, the most robust frame here is thus: "You're so attractive that I absolutely HAD to approach, despite the unfavorable circumstance." You don't have to, the approach will often speak for itself, but can help to acknowledge the unconventional nature of the approach directly - "excuse me, I know this may be unusual, but you're gorgeous and I just had to come and talk to you."

Seduction is sloppy, it's not a perfect art form; what works, works, and you'll be happily surprised at what does.

Executed correctly, confidently with unabashed sincerity and passion, the sheer audacity of the approach is likely to win her over.
Girls who are with friends or family will often be even more won over than the girl herself, and will wing you on the spot, women especially. Hell, I've had bystanders literally cheer when I've pulled off an "impossible" approach. It is indeed worthy of praise: a man throwing all caution to the wind, just to get a chance to know a woman who enchanted him so much so that the mere opportunity was worth taking the risk. Is there anything more romantic?

That being said, I cannot stress this enough. You have to bring everything you've got to the table. This is really not an approach you can half-ass.
As stated by @Will_V, "When you are in highly energized, intentful state that nonetheless is calm, she feels the potential energy pointed at her like a cock, and there is nothing that validates a woman more than an attractive man who becomes electrified in her presence, she wants to feel it all released into her body. But a man who is going through the motions does not offer her that kind of experience, only the possibility that he will go through the motions of intimacy, which is something no girl in history has ever wanted."
It's difficult and unwieldy task. You have to deliver the opener with utmost confidence in highly unfavorable circumstances, all while withstanding a tremendous amount of approach anxiety. Keep in mind that polarizing openers are inherently high-risk high-reward. Something smoother may generate more consistent results, but again, sometimes that option isn't always available to us. You're just gonna have to accept the risks, it certainly won't go the way you want it to every time, but getting blown out... but that's an ever-present risk you'll face on any other day. If it gets hot and you get pressed, don't trip, just bow out and make a graceful exit. There's nothing wrong with talking to strangers, and on a more practical level it's best not to show fear as sharks will smell blood in the water and pounce. But this is highly unlikely, most people don't want problems. So long as you don't jeopardize her reputation, you should be alright. Leave room for Jesus when you're opening.

Story time.

It's a quiet spring evening and I'm at work cleaning up the (juice) bar with my coworker. It's unusually quiet - there's not a single customer in the store. The entrance doors fly open, breaking the silence. In walks in two women, one young 20-something and one middle-aged woman.

As soon as I saw this girl the words just spilled from my mouth automatically: "Oh my god." This girl was so fine it almost hurt. Cute face, hazel eyes, jet-black hair, nice smile that gave her a light and buoyant energy. And her ass bro... never in my life had I seen a Persian woman built like that. Her proportions were so perfectly outrageous, I almost couldn't believe it. But being as few things in this world can stir the soul of an ethnic man like an hourglass figure, I knew it was unmistakable - her ass was the real thing. She walks up to the counter, I take her order with my hospitality persona, not letting on the fact that internally I'm in shambles. She leave to sit outside on the patio and wait for her order, and in this moment my resolve solidifies. I just had to approach. I thought to myself, my boss and my coworker can wait. These customers can too. And bystanders can either enjoy the show or mind their own business. As for who I'm assuming is her mom? I'm sure she'll be happy to witness the moment I became her son-in-law in real time.

I tell my coworker I'm going in and I abandon my post to do the deed. I walk up directly to the table, glancing first at HBPersian before asking her mom "Is this your daughter?" She nods yes. "Well then you've blessed the hell out of her, your daughter is so cute and I just had to say hello. Is she single?" HBPersian bursts out giggling and her mom smiles at me, telling me that yes, she is indeed single. I grin with an air of mischief while awaiting a response from HBPersian. She's caught in another giggling fit so I tell her "I can turn around, give you a breather...", turning my back to her playfully while looking at her over my shoulder. "Oh my god... Mom, what do you think?" Mom laughs and tells her its up to her to decide. HBPersian looks up at me and we banter for just a moment, I find out she goes to a sister university upstate and that she's in town visiting family for the weekend. I take her number, making my exit to go back to work with the understanding that I probably wouldn't see her again.

I was still a n00b, and this approach was way above my current level at the time. I had never attempted something like this prior either, but it went well nonetheless. It's been years and I still look back at this memory fondly. Not everything has to be about the outcome, the experience was satisfying in of itself.

There is just one situation I couldn’t handle yesterday. I saw a group of 5 beautiful girls sitting on a table outside of a Starbucks. There were like 20 empty tables around so it didn’t make sense for me to approach. How would you guys handle that??
So to answer your question @Gaturro... What I've done successfully in the past, and what I'd still do today if I found myself in this sort of situation, is choose the girl I liked the best, walk up to the group, and go direct - that is, through her friends. First I pre-open by acknowledging the group with a "how y'all doing today?", something along those lines. After getting a response I announce the reason behind my approach, addressing everyone except my girl: "Your friend..." *it is here I turn smoothly to address my girl by looking directly in her eyes, letting my gaze flit down to check her out, then back up, from which I then break by bringing my attention back to the group at large* "...is stunning."

From here my next move would be context dependent. If I can move her and isolate then I'll ask the group if I can borrow her for a moment. In your example she's sitting down so maybe I'd switch it up, but in any case I'd be doing my best to get in and get out. A move like this will put a lot of social pressure on your girl to act, so it'd be best to make yourself scarce and give her time to process and leave room for her to fantasize.

Last edited:

Gaturro

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
So to answer your question @Gaturro... What I've done successfully in the past, and what I'd still do today if I found myself in this sort of situation, is choose the girl I liked the best, walk up to the group, and go direct - that is, through her friends. First I pre-open by acknowledging the group with a "how y'all doing today?", something along those lines. After getting a response I announce the reason behind my approach, addressing everyone except my girl: "Your friend..." *it is here I turn smoothly to address my girl by looking directly in her eyes, letting my gaze flit down to check her out, then back up, from which I then break by bringing my attention back to the group at large* "...is stunning."

From here my next move would be context dependent. If I can move her and isolate then I'll ask the group if I can borrow her for a moment. In your example she's sitting down so maybe I'd switch it up, but in any case I'd be doing my best to get in and get out. A move like this will put a lot of social pressure on your girl to act, so it'd be best to make yourself scarce and give her time to process and leave room for her to fantasize.
That’s direct game isn’t it? I might have tried it with bad results a while ago, it’s low odds for me. There must be a less direct way to approach a group like that. But I could give it a try if I don’t come up with one

Karea Ricardus D.

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
walking down this very empty side street in the middle of the day. A hot girl was coming opposite direction it was dead quiet just me and her.
I would chalk this one up to AA... it's kind of an ideal situation for a direct approach because there is no audience, no spotlight effect. No social pressure on either you or her. It's just the two of you!

This would be different after dark, in which case it could be more scary for her. I've still done those and sometimes successfully, but then you have to be very disarming in your approach... open palms, appeasing voice tone etc.
(1) Girls sitting down away from people say in a park. I sometimes get the feeling because they are so 'locked in' it puts them in a difficult situation because they can't bail. BTW i know this is bullshit because i've fucked lots of girls before from seated DG approaches. But for some reason i still get this feeling before i go in sometimes.
Guess you answered your own question there :)
(2) when you kind of walk past and they move or turn at the instant you're about to go in it seems awkward to turn around again and open.
This can actually come across all the more spontaneous and sincere because it looks like you were so flashed by her look that you just had to go back and talk to her.
Can someone please tell me is this all in my head and am i being a pussy? Maybe it's approach anxiety but sometimes i do feel like the approach is 'too much' and i think from their perspective. How do i change these beliefs to always go in?
Most daygame is kinda "too much" by regular social norms, because there is often no socially relevant way to approach. And whenever you approach in a way that isn't socially relevant, you're committing a social violation. These approaches can be a bit clunky, but they DO work if you make it past the awkward phase, as you know from experience. In fact standing in the face of that social pressure unflinching can create a lot of attraction. Not for the faint of heart though, I'll say that.

metalbird

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I struggle with a lot of the more nuanced aspects of game, but these types of approaches are sort of a specialty of mine. Having a true "give no fucks" attitude helps a lot.
If that's the case, then as @Will_V talked about in a recent thread, in daygame approach situations where you have no prior social context that'll "allow" you to approach, you must create one. With "impossible" approaches, the most robust frame here is thus: "You're so attractive that I absolutely HAD to approach, despite the unfavorable circumstance." You don't have to, the approach will often speak for itself, but can help to acknowledge the unconventional nature of the approach directly - "excuse me, I know this may be unusual, but you're gorgeous and I just had to come and talk to you."
This issue with this frame, as with most of what you illustrate, is that it's very high effort AND very much "you chasing her", etc. Which means, you will get good responses/reactions, but poor results.

What works better, is that you MUST have some excuse/reason to justify approaching her besides finding her attractive. In fact, the more socially forward the approach, the more your story must have nothing to do with dating/sex/mating attraction. This makes it much easier on the girl internally, and it gives her a cover story to save face in front of anyone she's with or who might just be around, observing.

Personally, I'm very anti-lying, so here's some of the true (albiet situational) stories I might use:
  • My friend and I were just discussing ______ and I want to get your opinion on it
  • I'm doing [broadly social and platonic group thing] later, you [and your friends] should come! (Ex: open mic, private party, club meeting)
  • I'm conducting a survey/selling ____ (Obviously only works if you're actually surveying or selling something, and you have to run a sort of mixed approach
  • I'm looking for [building] OR Is there a [chain store] around here?
In all of these situations, you're looking for a way to exchange contact info with the girl so you can follow up outside of the high-intensity/high social pressure situation and test out here interest level there.

There is one notable exception that I've found, and that applies strictly to situations where a youngish girl is out ONLY with her mother. In that case, you can use the approach XO! describes, but with the catch that you MUST approach the MOTHER first. You make a grand walk-over or tryhard approach, address ONLY the mother, and say something like, "I'm sorry to interrupt, but your daughter is truly breathtaking. May I introduce myself to her?" THEN, after the mother consents (I've never had one not), turn to the daughter and proceed as normal (just keep it brief since obviously you're interrupting whatever they're doing).

Beck Bass

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
the most robust frame here is thus: "You're so attractive that I absolutely HAD to approach, despite the unfavorable circumstance."
Yep, that's it I think. Fortune favors the bold, as they say. The only times I could approach in daygame were where I felt that, but I guess not having quite the practice to approach (or expecting going to do it) made me hesitate a bit and not come out so "spontaneous" (ironically lol).

I was still a n00b, and this approach was way above my current level at the time. I had never attempted something like this prior either, but it went well nonetheless. It's been years and I still look back at this memory fondly. Not everything has to be about the outcome, the experience was satisfying in of itself
That was an amazing approach, I think, I really command you for going in even though you were working and everything. I think talking to her mom eases the pressure of the approach a bit and makes it ok to hit on her, too bad it didn't pan out.

What works better, is that you MUST have some excuse/reason to justify approaching her besides finding her attractive. In fact, the more socially forward the approach, the more your story must have nothing to do with dating/sex/mating attraction. This makes it much easier on the girl internally, and it gives her a cover story to save face in front of anyone she's with or who might just be around, observing.
Direct game has this problem of coming in "too strong" and not letting the girl get "confortable" enough (as in socially allowed to give you a chance). This ain't much of a problem if she's alone and obviously into you, but I the presence of other people, not going for "body compliments" or more generic stuff, can wield better results. I think @Chase covered that on a recent article on direct game, that direct is sorta a last resort, more indirect approaches that use the environment/situation are actually his bread-and-butter, because direct can be very polarizing and not give the girl much room to evaluate you social skills before she has to "make a decision" (like rejecting you, which is her natural reaction for most guys approaching in random situations, I suppose). Basically, only do the whole compliment based, "meant to be", awestruck type-of-approach if anything else won't do.

Reactions: XO!

Glow

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
couple of pointers

Pickup is about disturbing and interrupting so one has to accept that premise.

that said you can design things so that they are less disruptive or not even appearing so ( stumble upons, hover based, mingles etc). Eg by walking in close being absentminded not even noticing her or on deeply your phone as sitting down somewhere... "Oh hey"... do you know that feeling when...>>insert relatable chick crack<<! or "oh hey sorry can i use some of your bench"? before sitting down.

Things like politeness can help a lot as girls will mirror it and its socially awkward not to mirror polite with nice. I use this to ask girls if i can borrow some of their table at cafes, placing me right next to the cute one i want to seduce. They always laugh and say ofcourse. And the gates open with a flirty fun note and you can eg shoot reads or mcrs.

Appearing as being a very forward type person can also pave the way as youre just that type..

Karea Ricardus D.

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Pickup is about disturbing and interrupting so one has to accept that premise.

that said you can design things so that they are less disruptive or not even appearing so ( stumble upons, hover based, mingles etc). Eg by walking in close being absentminded not even noticing her or on deeply your phone as sitting down somewhere... "Oh hey"... do you know that feeling when...>>insert relatable chick crack<<! or "oh hey sorry can i use some of your bench"? before sitting down.

Things like politeness can help a lot as girls will mirror it and its socially awkward not to mirror polite with nice.
Excellent post. I operate very similarly. Always try to engineer a situation where you can make it all happen very naturally and spontaneously (apparently) but then transition into material right after the natural opening, for max impact which improvisation can't guarantee, but stock material can.
I use this to ask girls if i can borrow some of their table at cafes, placing me right next to the cute one i want to seduce. They always laugh and say ofcourse. And the gates open with a flirty fun note and you can eg shoot reads or mcrs.

Appearing as being a very forward type person can also pave the way as youre just that type..
These are different entirely to the previous, much more "implied direct" style. I like it too though, but I only do those if I'm in state. Otherwise I prefer to go in more low-key.

What is mcrs?

Last edited:

Glow

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Excellent post. I operate very similarly. Always try to engineer a situation where you can make it all happen very naturally and spontaneously (apparently) but then transition into material right after the natural opening, for max impact which improvisation can't guarantee, but stock material can.

These are different entirely to the previous, much more "implied direct" style. I like it too though, but I only do those if I'm in state. Otherwise I prefer to go in more low-key.

What is mcrs?
Hey man - good to see you in here. Thanks :)

Mcrs are short for mini cold reads.

Various "reads" i find great in initial day game situations.
And mini cold reads are chick crack level in creating a fun teasy mood to disarm and make her relax, laugh, baits with intrigue and makes her reactive to me.
I dont do a lot of them, just one well placed one or two if the mood is right.

Last edited:

Karea Ricardus D.

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Ah, yes. I thought it might be something else since you separated it from "shoot reads" - I thought you meant cold reads by that.

I have a cold read very early in my gameplan also.

Glow

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Ah, yes. I thought it might be something else since you separated it from "shoot reads" - I thought you meant cold reads by that.

I have a cold read very early in my gameplan also.
K. sorry if unclear.

i divide reads into
- cold reads
- warm reads
- Mcrs
- ruses

cool w the cold read on your end.

>