Online & Apps  For the guys who really want to date Instagram girls...

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Worth a read for any guy hung up on Instagram chicks:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/gh2q7c
Here's the text in case it doesn't show up:

Am I the asshole for telling my girlfriend her Instagram use is obnoxious and ruining our relationship?
So according to my girlfriend and several friends of hers that apparantly needed to be included in our personal affairs this makes me a controlling ass.
Well to give some background I am not a social media user(I do have an account on one site but I rarely use it and it is more to keep track of distant relatives and old friends on) and neither was my girlfriend for the most part, she did use it on and off.
Well in the past year she has made an instagram due to pressure of some of her friends. Well she is very good looking so it more or less kicked off and she has now got somewhere in the area of 20 to 30 thousand followers.
Well it was all good at the start be it a bit annoying to be honest but she sort of got addicted. At first she respected my choice not to be involved as well but now she wants me to take pictures, be in pictures, takes pictures of me to put on her instagram etc.
Well essentially all of our dates, moments together and so forth are now the subject of a photosession and it is honestly starting to have a large impact on our relationship and has turned into the primary subject of every argument we have.
Well that brings us to even more recently and now she is starting to post more eh, provocative stuff, I suppose we should call it. I am obviously not saying nude stuff but like stuff in bikini's with an focus on her ass you know the type of stuff. Now while I am not a big fan of her doing that, I do not consider it a huge issue(At the end of the day everyone sees it when we go to the beach anyways)it is more or less yet another shovel of shit on the proverbial shitheap that this instagram crap has become, however on the off occasion I actually check her instagram the comments are just pissing me the hell off, primarily a bunch of horny dudes, you get the drift.
So yesterday I decided to just be blunt about it given it is really a strain on our relationship and it went about as well as you could expect.
We have not spoken since aside from another argument(Real fun given we live together and have to stay home.) So, am I just overreacting?

Not all sunshine and roses when she's this focused on turning her life into a constant showcase...

Chase

DarkKnight

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
@Chase so I suppose this is a classic scenario where he should have given her an ultimatum per your article, before this escalated the way it did ?

Train

Chieftan
tribal-elder
Interesting to see top comments agreeing with him. Then again, Reddit skews towards young/millennial men.

It's somewhat tragic these models pretend to live a "glamorous" life for observers. And these observers yearn to live that "glamorous" life. It's like two abysses staring into each other.

I rather live in the moment. But I still cherish pictures looking back. So long as they're not taken every 5 minutes.

Tony D

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
That's the downfall of video, picture based apps. I am doing more Youtube stuff and recording my hiking experiences. Yet, I don't really want to get the camera out and start blabbing. I feel like everything I see, everyone I interact with has to become part of my Youtube project. But... that's the world we live in. Everybody has a show. I can imagine the validation high of being social media famous must be powerful. She should at least monetize it.

West_Indian_Archie

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
He sounds immature and insecure, and lacking any sort of game.

Moreover, he's naive about the nature of women.

This might be far afield from PUA, but he really needs to start managing her account and profiting from her stuff. He probably won't get over the insecurity, but he can change the dynamic of the relationship. And adding a bit of emotional distance and turning her into his employee (as opposed to his partner)

Without his guidance, the future of this girl is basically "onlyfans" and then cam girl, and then heading to Miami/Vegas/San Fernando Valley to be a star, and then "email for business inquiries" and she's in Dubai for modeling.

With his guidance, he (they) can make a grip on YouTube.

WIA

Teevster

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
This might be far afield from PUA, but he really needs to start managing her account and profiting from her stuff. He probably won't get over the insecurity, but he can change the dynamic of the relationship.

A legal form of pimping. Many women actually like being "pimped". It is one of many dark things about women, but one nevertheless. Not only will the guy make cash and probably his girlfriend too, but she will also start respecting him a bit more and probably fuck him better than she already is (that is if at this point she is even taking her time to have sex with him).

And adding a bit of emotional distance and turning her into his employee (as opposed to his partner)

I also like that, just to somewhat set the frames right again.

Best

Last edited:

Spyce D

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
He sounds immature and insecure, and lacking any sort of game.

Moreover, he's naive about the nature of women.

This might be far afield from PUA, but he really needs to start managing her account and profiting from her stuff. He probably won't get over the insecurity, but he can change the dynamic of the relationship. And adding a bit of emotional distance and turning her into his employee (as opposed to his partner)

Without his guidance, the future of this girl is basically "onlyfans" and then cam girl, and then heading to Miami/Vegas/San Fernando Valley to be a star, and then "email for business inquiries" and she's in Dubai for modeling.

WIA
If he is profiting from the girl , he is pimping otherwise he is simping.

subzzd

Rookie
Rookie
I am really interested to know how to handle such scenario without going to pimp route. I am sure I wont be comfortable with my girlfriend( proper gf not FWBs) putting her body on display for horny dudes. My first reaction would be trying to break it off with her. but is that a immature reaction?

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
@DarkKnight,

@Chase so I suppose this is a classic scenario where he should have given her an ultimatum per your article, before this escalated the way it did ?

Yes, if he ran out of other tools to tackle it, and reached the point where it was "Dump her or get her to fix it", it's time. When calm discussion is off the table, considerate ultimatum is what you've got left before you move to calling it quits.

I rather live in the moment. But I still cherish pictures looking back. So long as they're not taken every 5 minutes.

Yet, I don't really want to get the camera out and start blabbing. I feel like everything I see, everyone I interact with has to become part of my Youtube project. But... that's the world we live in. Everybody has a show.

This is the thing about social media. It is very seductive to want to photo diary your life to be more Internet cool.

Eventually you realize the picture-taking for public approval is overriding your ability to actually live your life.

I went through a phase like this in 2008, taking pictures all the time and being this really cool guy on Facebook. I talked about some of it here. One of the things that helped shake me out of it was when I took this trip with a couple buddies, and the first few days I'd taken pictures non-stop, then left my camera in a cab by accident and lost it. And I realized not only had I lost the hundreds of pictures I'd taken over the last two days, but I'd been so stuck behind the camera I hadn't even really experienced those days either. I never bought another camera again. And have hardly used the ones on the smart phones I've bought since then.

But you've got to have that realization at some point.

If you just talked to this girl in the post and said, "Hey. You shouldn't live your whole life just for Internet fans," she wouldn't hear it.

She needs to come to that realization herself.

@West_Indian_Archie,

WIA

That's a great take.

Major mindset shift from where he's at... from "I am annoyed at this thing my girlfriend is doing, and it is getting worse, and I wish she would stop it" to "I support this thing my girlfriend is doing, but she needs to do it my way, and put me in charge of it, and together we will make her a star, in the right ways, and both benefit from it."

I have realized over the past decade or so that the mentality of being able to manage and delegate to people is so far distant from the way many people think that it's as alien to them and different as "doing good with girls is a skill" or "you inside your head are responsible for your own emotions; no one else and nothing external to you is" or "buying a house is a liability, not an investment/value store" or basically any other useful-but-uncommon mode of thinking (that, once you're in it, seems like the most obvious thing in the world... but until you are, is simply outside your reality).

If he is profiting from the girl , he is pimping otherwise he is simping.

Yeah, you wouldn't want to do that out of the goodness of your heart.

Do that and you are just building her up at your own expense so she can further her own ego and other ends that don't involve you.

She'd need to be paying you a management fee, getting you kickbacks, introductions to people through her, introducing you to people as her manager, making deals go through you and you set the rates and determine who gets what cut, etc.

@subzzd,

I am really interested to know how to handle such scenario without going to pimp route. I am sure I wont be comfortable with my girlfriend( proper gf not FWBs) putting her body on display for horny dudes. My first reaction would be trying to break it off with her. but is that a immature reaction?

I think there are a few solid-ish reactions here:

1. Cool with it, but want to manage it. The route @West_Indian_Archie suggests.

2. Cool with it, and don't really care either way. You don't really care if a bunch of horny Instagram dudes are slavering over her booty pictures, and you don't care if she wants to take pictures with you in them either. In fact, if she wants to make her entire life about taking pictures, including with you, you are fine with that too. It's all good.

3. Cool with it, but don't want to be involved in it. You don't really care if a bunch of horny Instagram dudes are slavering over her booty pictures, but you don't want her phone out when she's around you. She can take her pictures, but she's not to include you, and she needs to keep the phone off in your presence.

4. Not cool with it, and she needs to tone it down or it's over. You are not cool with her posting booty shots out there for horny followers to drool over, and either she is going to switch to a far more wholesome picture style, or you'll take it as a sign she is just not compatible with you.

Different guys will want different things.

A guy who is really into social media might fall into the #2 camp. He's tickled at his girlfriend's popularity, and likes being known as the guy who is shagging that girl all those other guys are beating their meat to. He gets an ego boost from it.

Other guys will fall into the #1 or #3 camps (I'm more or less a #3 guy. I don't want her doing Dubai trips or having an OnlyFans, but if she really wants to share some mildly sexy pictures and get a bunch of thirsty guys drooling over her, whatever. I'll think less of her, but it's not something I'll dump her over in and of itself. I don't want it around me though -- don't take pictures of me, don't put me on her profile, and don't have the phone out take pictures or checking social media around me).

Sounds like you'd be in the #4 camp. If that was me, I'd find a time to sit her down and say, "Look babe, I feel like I'm losing you. Our relationship has been transforming. We used to spend so much time together, but now every time you're around you're lost in your phone. You're taking pictures, posting pictures, responding to DMs, commenting, following. I've lost my girlfriend. I want to get her back. Right now it feels like she's dating her phone."

Then see how she responds. If it's anything other than realization and a pledge to cut back, then it's time to start imposing boundaries and setting deadlines ("I don't want to see your phone out when you're around me. It must be off, or you have to leave it at home", etc.).

Chase

Tim Iron

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
She likely wouldn't stop it because of him if she sees there maybe a monetary benefit in doing it. He can just push her into the FWB zone and start looking for a lady who isn't into that sort of thing.

Last edited:

West_Indian_Archie

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

You can only feel how you feel. If you're chick is attractive enough, you'll get all sorts of online and OFFLINE reaction. Not being able to handle it, without your manhood/relationship with the girl threatened is up to you.

Date a girl who can't "hide" (her body is outrageous or her face is that flawless), and you'll start to understand that the nature of beauty is that she doesn't really own her beauty, everyone else does. And people feel entitled to it. Girls, old women, guys, children. If the man in her life can't deal with her everyday reality - she's even more alone than she realizes. I've had 3 GFs where going to the grocery store was a hassle because the public at large felt okay to comment.

That said, so many girls court attention. Survival Mechanism? Her life's blood? "Hypergamy?"

She will put a guy into situations intentionally or recklessly. Something that might be a one off when you're only dating 7s becomes a reality when you're dating a girl with a ridiculous body and face to match.

That's her nature and the nature of society.

What to do about it?

A man can reward good behavior with his attention, and "punish" bad behavior via negative attention or no attention.

That basically puts you into a reactionary position like the guy in the original post.

Manage her career? Threaten her with leaving? Leave?

The bigger issue with trying to control an LTR's behavior is that she ends up controlling you.

Instead of her wondering where you are, you're like this guy, monitoring reactions on her social media.

Ultimately, this guy is holding on to this girl like it's his last dollar, like he can't get another girl that looks just like her.

Reggie Bush famously broke up with Kim Kardashian and replaced with her a girl that looks almost like her.

WIA

WIA

FunGuy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
That guy was in a situation where he should have dumped her immediately, some would argue that it warrants a "talk" first but lets not overlook the details. She showed that she doesn't give a single fuck about his opinion, any person who respects their partner would ask for their input before posting provocative pics on social media. It would be a completely different situation if she was already doing that before they were together.

I disagree with most of you guys on the whole "try to profit" from her. How exactly are you going to profit from her? You don't really have much value you can offer besides taking pictures for her. I am pretty sure most guys don't want to run around being some chicks personal photographer, especially when you know she doesn't have any professional ambition related to her social media, its purely done for validation.

Skills

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Just wondering for LTR monogamous screening?

Wouldn't diarrhea posting of pics and sexual stuff and need for attention on social media be a red flag for a good monogamous ltr....

Wouldn't in the middle of the relationship diarrhea posting of pics and sexual stuff be a violation of boundaries that she would not do in a strong relationship since she knows better???

again i am talking ltr monogamy....

^ i can not see a girl dating or applying with me for ltr monogamy doing either...

FunGuy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Just wondering for LTR monogamous screening?

Wouldn't diarrhea posting of pics and sexual stuff and need for attention on social media be a red flag for a good monogamous ltr....

Wouldn't in the middle of the relationship diarrhea posting of pics and sexual stuff be a violation of boundaries that she would not do in a strong relationship since she knows better???

again i am talking ltr monogamy....

^ i can not see a girl dating or applying with me for ltr monogamy doing either...
Yeah, that is one of the most common red flags you see mentioned in any screening/red flag topic. It is also one of the very easy to screen.

Starboy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
So where do you guys draw the line of a girl going from attention whore,validation seeking or simply clotheline/business promoting(legit not the bullshit dm for rates) to full on smut. I assume if a girl is too provacative and theres a swipe up on her insta or snap then she's more likely to have nudes in her onlyfans then she would fall into the smut category. If she's a legit fitness girl who just likes posts pictures of her wearing tight leggings that's not as bad right.

Velasco

Modern Human
Modern Human
if shes got an instagram account she's not LTR mono material imo

ulrich

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
How are relationships with that kind of girls (stereotypically speaking)?
Are they enjoyable?

I've been wondering if it would be worth the effort targeting Instagram "famous" girls once the coronavirus is over.

They are hot for sure... but I have no clue if they would be cool or crazy.

Starboy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Depends on the Instagram and how active she is there :)
Yeah its really common for girls to have instagram. Nearly every girl has one. If you find one who doesnt have it then she's probably unnattractive, weird or anti social. If your criteria is she cant have an instagram then u probably will never pick a gf lol

>